Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Thought

As a general rule I try to avoid doing a whole lot of searching for signs or symbols or codes in the bible, but occasionally a thought strikes me that there may be more than the obvious in some places in the bible.

Most recently I was thinking about "The Seven Last Words of Christ", I have a copy on my IPod and I had listened to parts of it recently, and the thought struck me that maybe when Jesus spoke of his thirst he was not only speaking of the physical thirst which surely must have been as severe as any other pain he was suffering, but that maybe he could have been also alluding to being cut off from the water of life as an extension of his earlier question, "At three o'clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "Eloi, eloi, lema sabachthani?", which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
(Mar 15:34 ISV)(e-Sword)

2 comments:

Chette said...

Just a sharing of thought...

Jesus was thirsty that time right? He saved us and He became the Water of Life... *_*

David Miller said...

There is no doubt that Jesus was physically thirsty. The point I was trying to make is that he was cut off from God during the time he died and descended into hell. I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the water of life is more likely the Holy Spirit which flows through Jesus into us, since Jesus tells us that we must believe in him in order to recieve the water of life. Anyway, I would think that being cut off from God would include being cut off from the Holy Spirit (Water of Life) and so he was also spiritually thirsty. I believe this was all part of the process of saving us. To take on our sins in order to save us, I believe he may have needed to be as cut off and helpless as us for that brief time until the third day when he rose from death and then became fully one with God and the Holy Spirit and so the Water of Life.